Osman Hamdi Bey (During the excavation of Mount Nemrut)
Istanbul Archaeological Museums
In the 19th century, efforts were in place to modernize the Ottoman Empire, as many of the leading statesmen were exposed to Western ideas through education and travel. The museum was founded by decree in 1891 as the Imperial Museum. The first curator and founder of the museum was Osman Hamdi. Hamdi began construction of the main building in 1881, and it achieved its present neo-Greek form in 1908. The architect was Alexander Vallaury. It is one of the prominent structures built in the neoclassical style in Istanbul. Osman Hamdi, during his tenure as museum director, launched the first Turkish scientific excavations. He carried out archaeological excavations at Mount Nemrut, Laguna and Sidon.
Le tumulus de Nemroud-Dagh. Voyage, description, inscriptions avec plans et photographies, İstanbul, F. Loeffler, 1883.
"Osman Hamdi Bey (During the excavation of Mount Nemrut)" in "Sharing History", Museum With No Frontiers, 2020. http://www.sharinghistory.org/database_item.php?id=object;AWE;tr;88;en;N
Copyedited by: Daniel de la VegaDaniel de la Vega
Daniel de la Vega is a copy editor based in Portland, Oregon. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in linguistics from the University of California at Santa Cruz in 2014 and has since done editing and localization work on everything from college applications to magazines to video game dialogue.
MWNF Working Number: TR2 084