The Port of Constanţa
National Museum of Romanian History
The Black Sea port of Constanța underwent its first modernization while Dobruja, the province where it is situated, was under Ottoman control. In 1857, when the Ottoman government hired a British company to build a railway in Dobruja, the concluded contract also stipulated the reconstruction of the Constanța port. Completed in 1864, it was still a small harbor with a wooden dock, a dam and one cereals depot. After Dobruja was annexed by Romania, a law was issued in 1885 for the “improvement and augmentation” of the port. In 1896 its modernization was leased to a French enterprise but due to some disagreements, three years later the state took over the works, which were led by architect Anghel Saligny. Inaugurated in 1909, the new port had 3 dams, several docks, depots, silos, an oil basin, an electric plant.
"The Port of Constanţa" in "Sharing History", Museum With No Frontiers, 2020. http://www.sharinghistory.org/database_item.php?id=object;AWE;rm;4;en
MWNF Working Number: RO 004
On display in
Sharing History Exhibition(s)Great Inventions Of The 19th Century | Transportation | Waterways Economy And Trade | Important Trading Hubs | Important Ports
DownloadAs PDF (including images) As Word (text only)