© Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico “L. Pigorini”


Name of Object:

Bowl

Name in original language:

Coppa

Location:

Rome, Italy

Holding Institution:

National Museum of Prehistory and Ethnography “Luigi Pigorini”

 About MIBACT | National Museum of Prehistory and Ethnography “Luigi Pigorini”, Rome

Holding Institution (original language):

Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico “Luigi Pigorini”

Date of Object:

Second Dynasty; purchased in 1904

Inventory Number:

inv. 74528

Material(s) / Technique(s):

Breccia

Dimensions:

Height 3.4 cm; diameter 7.5 cm

Provenance:

Egypt

Description:

Probably used to keep cosmetics, the artwork is part of the purchases bought by Roberto Paribeni (later Soprintendente alle antichità di Roma e Lazio, 1928–1933) in 1904 from Ghirghis, the antiquities dealer in Quena, on behalf of "Museo Preistorico ed Etnografico" in Rome. In 1878 Luigi Pigorini, director of the "Museo Preistorico Etnografico e Kircheriano", decided to expand the museum’s Egyptian archaeological collection. The main body of the collection was donated by David Randall-MacIver in 1901, after the excavations he carried out on the behalf of the Egypt Exploration Fund in the town of el-Amrah, Upper Egypt. Another major purchase — from the Italian Archaeological Mission in Egypt (excavations of Hammamiye) led by Ernesto Schiaparelli, director of the Egyptian Museum in Turin — followed in 1905. The last main acquisition took place in 1913 when the Egyptian objects from the Enrico Hillyer Giglioli’s collection entered the museum collection.

Citation of this web page:

Marina Minozzi "Bowl" in "Sharing History", Museum With No Frontiers, 2020. http://www.sharinghistory.org/database_item.php?id=object;AWE;it;185;en

Database entry origination:

Prepared by: Marina Minozzi
Copyedited by: Anne Dowell

MWNF Working Number: IT2 043

Related Content

 Timeline for this item

 Bibliography


On display in

MWNF Galleries

Archaeological Objects

Download

As PDF (including images) As Word (text only)