© DGPC/ ADF © DGPC/ ADF


Name of Monument:

National Museum of Soares dos Reis

Other name of the Monument:

Carrancas Palace

Location:

Porto, Portugal

Responsible Institution:

General Directorate for Cultural Heritage (DGPC)

Responsible Institution (original language):

Direção-Geral do Património Cultural (DGPC)

Date of Monument:

1795

Architect(s) / Master-builder(s):

Joaquim da Costa Lima Sampaio (attr.)

History:

The Carrancas Palace is a neo-classical palace built by the Moraes e Castro family, which accommodated the English generals during the Napoleonic Invasions, and was later converted into a royal residence. The National Museum of Soares dos Reis, established by King Pedro IV in 1833, was Portugal’s first public museum and was inspired by the cultural and heritage protecting spirit typical of Liberalism.

Description:

The Carrancas Palace is an imposing neoclassical building with four main areas: the U-shaped noble area, the galleries, the closed central courtyard and the backyard. Despite having been converted into a museum, the palace has preserved most of its original structure.

The building interior has a refined decoration, shown in the stuccoes embellishing the dining room and the furniture in the music room, both of which were inspired on the creations of Robert Adams.

Citation of this web page:

"National Museum of Soares dos Reis" in "Sharing History", Museum With No Frontiers, 2020. http://www.sharinghistory.org/database_item.php?id=monuments;AWE;pt;1;en

MWNF Working Number: PT 001

Related Content

 Timeline for this item


On display in


Download

As PDF (including images) As Word (text only)