Governorate of Nabatiyya, Lebanon
In 1139, King Fulk of Jerusalem gained control of this area and begun the construction of Beaufort castle shortly afterwards. Although Saladin recaptured Beaufort in 1190, the castle was returned to crusader hands only 60 years later. In 1268 Sultan Baybars finally gained control of the fortress. However, the upper portion was destroyed by the Ottomans in the 17th century, as they sought to quash Emir Fakhr al-Din II, who had taken the castle as part of his network of fortifications. Following the Galilee Earthquake in 1837, which caused considerable damage to the structure, the castle was abandoned and its ruins were used by local farmers to shelter sheep, and as a quarry.
The Beaufort Castle was a crusader castle located near the town of Nabatiyeh, in South Lebanon. The castle was named "Bel Fort" or "Beau Fort" by the Crusaders in the 12th century. Its name in Arabic is Qal'at al-Shaqiif, meaning Castle on the High Rock. The castle was also used for military purposes in the 20th century, particularly during the civil war, due to its strategic location.
Julien El Khoury, Jeff El-Msanne "Beaufort Castle" in "Sharing History", Museum With No Frontiers, 2020. http://www.sharinghistory.org/database_item.php?id=monuments;AWE;lb;52;en
Prepared by: Julien El Khoury, Jeff El-Msanne
Copyedited by: Flaminia Baldwin
MWNF Working Number: LB 059
On display in
Sharing History Exhibition(s)Travelling | Tourism | Overview Cities And Urban Spaces | Urban Planning And The Instruments Of Planning | Studying Sites
DownloadAs PDF (including images) As Word (text only)